Thursday, June 14, 2012

We Just Might Be Crazy

I didn't take the time to properly say my goodbye's to Memphis. I got caught up in the excitement of not going back that I didn't acknowledge the things I wouldn't get to do anymore, or the people I wouldn't get to see again. I think it is sort of a coping mechanism for me. I do not do well with goodbye's. I never know if I should give you a hug, or just act nonchalant and not make a fuss about it. I'm very socially awkward if you couldn't tell.

I loved living in Memphis for the most part. After I got used to it, that is. My list of things that I didn't like about it (yes, I have lists for everything) was shorter than my list of things I did like about it, but it was heavier...if that makes sense. Here, I will show you:

Things I Loved About Memphis:
*Wolfchase Mall
*Gibson's donuts
*Muddy's Bakery
*Las Delicias
*Good job
*Free rent
*All utilities paid
*Trailer opportunities
*Sister and her family live there
*Finally made a couple good friends
*Zoo
*Museums
*Activities for Atrion to do
*Cody and I relied on each other a whole lot more and worked as a team. We got to spend  a lot of time as a family since Cody worked right in our home.
*Gus's Fried chicken
*Shelby Farms
*Malco Paradisio
*This counts twice: Paying off our debts and making good money.
*Kroger and their cheaper gas rewards. 
*Mild Winters
*No state income tax

Things I Didn't Love About Memphis:
*The linoleum in my apartment. It never looked clean...EVER! I even scrubbed it with a toothbrush at one point.
*The hot and humid summers
*The crime
*The noise
*Cody wasn't happy
*Being away from family that really supports us 
*Driving a long way to get to church
*The hospitals and Medicaid system made us uncomfortable
*We want to try for another baby, but not in Memphis. In Idaho, we can get great care even if we are on Medicaid, whereas in Memphis, they treat you like second-hand citizens. Most nicer places will not accept TN medicaid because they don't get paid as much for it. 
*Being lonely when everyone else was too busy. It happened quite often since I didn't know a whole lot of people. 
*No Walmart in close distance worth going to. 
*The disgusting bugs (roaches, ants, brown recluses, and some crazy bugs I have no names for)
*The trees (I addressed this one already).
*Public schools suck, for the most part.
*10% sales tax

So, what it came down to was the fact that Cody wasn't happy there. He was away from his family and his friends. There were other things that tainted his impression of Memphis, most of which I already listed in my dislikes section. My happiness is directly proportional to his happiness. So, while we had happy times, we just weren't happy. We also couldn't date very much because we had limited options with babysitters.

The runner up is the baby thing. There is no way we can even think about having another baby without having family to help us and with the cruddy healthcare and all the crime. Also, trying to home school Atrion would be very trying.

I will miss a lot of things about living in Memphis. If my sister still lives there then I will probably come back for a visit if we have money.

So here are my salutations for Memphis: Goodbye good job! Goodbye good bosses! Goodbye living close to the Van Noys (even though I will still see you sometimes)! Goodbye new found friends The Beers' family! Goodbye Gibson's donuts and Muddy's Bakery! Goodbye delicious food choices that are too numerous to name! Goodbye cheaper gas!

Hello to family and old friends. Hello wide, open spaces and blue skies. Hello opportunities. 
Hello happiness

3 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

I hate that you guys were so unhappy here. And I think a huge difference is moving across that state line. In Hernando the schools are fantastic, barely any crime, just a good small town quaint feeling. I also argue that you didn't have enough time to get to love it. At my year mark here I was ready to move. I told corporate as soon as they had another property to get me out of here! But it is a completely different story now. I finally would have a REALLY hard time leaving here. I LOVE, LOVE Hernando...I love living close to Memphis (though I know a ton of other big cities would be way better than Memphis...so Memphis itself is not the selling point...but the big city options is). I just could rave and rave about Hernando...and the more Carter gets into school and sports and activities it just keeps getting better.

The number one worst thing for me is the Humid, Scorching summers and mosquitoes...but I am more afraid of the Hobos in Idaho than I am of the bugs down here...BUT I do miss being able to sit in Idaho grass and just enjoy it...do that here and you will probably get eaten.

I know you have your reasons and I respect them...but I think it really could have grown on you had you been able to stay a little longer, made more friends, and built more connections.

AND...anytime you asked if I would come a babysit so you could go on a date I DID! :) You guys got 90% more dates than Josh and I did...haha. which is sad for us!

I hope you guys find your places up there and that the happiness returns and you are able to find your opportunities! I am sad often that you aren't here anymore.

Unknown said...

I can enlighten you on some of the creepy bug names.... They are called silverfish and earwigs!!!! So nasty!!! Hope you guys don't forget us!! We miss you already.

Kara D. said...

I am glad you guys are happier now. No one likes to live in sadness :)