Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankful.

I was taking a wonderfully relaxing bath and started thinking about all the things I am thankful for. It isn't just because of Thanksgiving, although I am sure that is part of it, but mostly because I have been in a foul, rotten mood for about a month now. I'm trying hard to come out of it, and today I think I had a breakthrough. It's been hard for me to focus on what my blessings are and to stop agonizing over the things I can't change or fix. I was reading through the conference talks last night and President Uchtdorf's talk just really made me want to be happy. So I am going to be thankful for my blessings and pray to overcome my fears and frustrations and anxieties.

  • I am thankful for my family. This is obviously a no-brainer, but I have to say it otherwise my OCD-ness will not let me rest. My family is wonderful, and supportive, and caring, and hilarious, and thoughtful, and amazing. I have a brilliant son who is just awesome to be around. He is sunshine. My husband is also brilliant, and uplifting, and smart, and sweet, and knows me and my potential. 
  • I'm thankful for a place to live. This is a big thank you to my wonderful family as well. Gosh, how I will I ever repay them?
  • I'm thankful for fall. The crisp, cool weather helps clear my head and focus on what's important. Also, all the best holidays are around fall. 
  • I am thankful for the Gospel. It's my road map. Without it, I don't think I could find happiness on my own. 
  • I am thankful for books. “The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, And all the sweet serenity of books” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow I just love books and I love to read. 
  • I am thankful for being able to stay at home. I love being a mom and I would rather not do anything else but that. It takes a lot of sacrifice to do this, but I don't necessarily view it as sacrifice because I just love being home with my child so much. 
  • I am thankful for technology. My sister in-law, Sierra, asked me what time period I would want to live in if I could choose. I thought about it for a second and realized I already did choose. I chose this one. And I love it. I wouldn't mind experiencing other times but not permanently. I love computers and the internet, and dishwashers, and things that make my life easier. I love being able to connect to so many people at once through the internet and to glimpse into their lives through blogs and pictures they post. I love to play games and to watch TV shows. I love that I can get all the church magazines and scriptures and manuals on my iPad for free and carry thousands of books around with me all the time. It's just an amazing time to live. Oh, and also epidurals...epidurals are great. 
  • I am thankful for Cody's job. I am also glad he is finishing school and that we have that opportunity to do that now. I am thankful his job isn't too demanding and he can be home as much as possible. That really is the best. 
I also like candy. Mmm.....My wish for this next year is to always remember to be thankful. I sometimes just go through the motions when I pray and hastily say a few things I am thankful for before jumping in on my long list of things I need. How rude of me! I am going to try harder.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com