Sunday, February 8, 2015

Forgetting Normal

I'm probably not the only mom who forgets what day of the week it is. That's how I ended up at Costco on a Friday night a week ago. I say "night" but it was really early evening. Have you been to Costco on a Friday night with a 5 year old and a toddler? The problem is that Costco is apparently where the middle age men go to have dinner. And not in the food court. They are all about the samples. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE samples, but I try to retain a sense of dignity when partaking of free food. These guys...nope. I got a total glare from a guy, who is probably really nice in normal life, but he thought I was cutting in front of him to snatch the last sample when all I was really doing was trying to get to the dang cheese. There were also toothpicks and wrappers all over the floor. Just saying...

Anywho, half way through Costco Caius got super tired and decided to scream inconsolably the rest of the time. It's pretty tough keeping your cool in that situation. Plus it ruined the ambiance of 50 or so men's dinners.

All of this to say....it's easy to lose track of time when you're a mom. My kids change so subtly each day and before I know it, it's been three months since I've blogged and they've grown so much. During those three months, we had Thanksgiving, Cody's 34th birthday, Christmas, our 7th anniversary and the new year. SO MUCH!!!!

I want to keep a journal and to be able to look back on this blog as a reference. It's hard when at the end of the day all I want to do is curl up on the couch and watch Netflix, preferably while binge eating delicious treats. However, I do expect to be thin and healthy while maintaining this lifestyle. That's not too much to ask is it?

My sister encouraged me to start blogging again so I am. Why is it that things that are important to me are hard to do? I want to be fit and healthy, but it's hard to keep up on diet and exercise. I want to save all our money and not spend a penny, but that shirt was $2.00 on clearance and Atrion is out of long sleeves. I want to keep a record of our life especially while my kids are small but nothing happened today, or yesterday, at least nothing "blog worthy". But that's the thing...these small moments are what I want to remember. The big stuff, like Christmases and birthdays are important but also easier to recall. The day to day stuff is what I need to focus on.

So that's my goal. To write a post as often as I can about the mundane, normal, everyday events, because soon my normal is going to change. Not drastically, but ever so subtly that I cannot even perceive it. And before I know it, it will be hard to remember a time when this was my normal.

1 comment:

*LaUrA* said...

Exactly!! I know others might not care too much but I love reading about what I cooked for dinner and what small victory Cannon accomplished or what Carter did in the school that day. It is these small moments that make up our big lives! ...I also know that I find it very interesting to read about our ancestors and the "mundane" things about their day. So...maybe...someone will find our musings intriguing one day. Keep at it!! I love reading about your normal!